This update contains information specific to pack-house washing and inspection of carrier produce for tomato-potato psyllid (TPP). Note: These requirements may not cover all other import requirements for each jurisdiction (e.g. green snail) and growers should check with Quarantine WA prior to consigning produce to other jurisdictions.
The update from DPIRD can be downloaded here.
National protocols for TPP carrier produce
South Australia and Victoria have confirmed that pack-house washed TPP carrier produce can be certified by a DPIRD inspector as being pack-housed washed, inspected and found to be free from TPP and securely packaged in accordance with the following requirement.
1. All tomato-potato psyllid carrier produce in the consignment must be either;
(a) hydro-cooled with continuously circulated water for at least 20 minutes; or
(b) immersed in continuously agitated water for 3 minutes; or
(c) high pressure washed under water nozzles with a water pressure above 200 kpa (29 psi) for a minimum of 20 seconds; or
(d) washed with water on rotating roller brushes for a minimum of 30 seconds;
2. All carrier produce is verified post-treatment for absence of TPP by;
i. For NSW, inspected at the rate of the greater of 2% or 600 pieces of produce and found free of tomato-potato psyllids; or
ii. For all other jurisdiction, inspected at the rate of 2% or 600 pieces of produce and found free of tomato-potato psyllids;
3. All carrier produce is securely packed post treatment by one or more of the following methods to prevent contamination with tomato-potato psyllid:
(a) unvented packages;
(b) vented packages with the vents secured with mesh which has a maximum aperture of 1.6 mm; or
(c) wrapping or bagging in sealed plastic sleeves or bags; or
(d) fully enclosed consignments under tarpaulins, hessian, shade cloth, or mesh or other covering which has a maximum aperture of 1.6 mm; or
(e) consignment shrink-wrapped and sealed as a palletised unit; or
(f) fully enclosed or screened buildings, cold-rooms, vehicles (including tautliners in good condition); or
(g) other facilities free from gaps or other entry points greater than 1.6 mm.
2. Process to arrange verification and certification
To arrange certification of your pack-house prepared washed carrier produce:
1. Contact Quarantine WA (QWA) to schedule an inspector to visit your pack-house facility to verify the washing process meets one or more of the requirements specified in 1. 1. Requirement. Note: 1.1.(c) and (d) require verification for each type of produce/product line washed under these processes.
Once a process has been verified as meeting the above requirements, the business details will be added to the QWA register of approved washing facilities, which details the washing process verified and type of produce (if applicable). The inspector will also supply the pack-house with Pack-house Washing Declaration forms to accompany consignments.
2. Prior to each consignment, the pack-house operator is required to send a completed Export Requirements and Certification Request form to the QWA Exports Officer. To request a form, phone: (08) 9334 1800 or email: email@example.com. Further information on this process can be provided by DPIRD staff at time of inspection.
3. The QWA Exports Officer will return the Export Requirements and Certification Request form specifying the relevant jurisdictions movement conditions. The pack-house operator or its agent is to contact the Inspector provided on the completed Export Requirements and Certification Request form to arrange inspection of the consignment.
4. For each consignment, the pack-house operator must forward a copy of a completed Pack-house Washing Declaration and a QWA completed Export Requirements and Certification Request to the facility at which the inspection will be carried out.
Contacts for growers
Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, WA
To book a pack-house washing process verification
Phone: (08) 9334 1800
For export requirements and certification enquires or to request a Export Requirements and Certification Request form
Phone: (08) 9334 1800
For market access enquiries
TPP Market Access Phone: (08) 9368 3224